Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Apollo was put on a diet when he went into the vet the time before last. The vet said to cut back on how much food he was getting because they should be lean while they are growing so much. I understand that, but I think he is getting too thin. I can now see all his ribs and I dont think he's getting enough to eat. He looks really thin to me, too thin. How can I tell if he's getting too thin? I dont want to overfeed him but I dont want to starve him either.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Miss Scarlet , how much are you feeding him a day ? and how many times a day ? My pups are now 9 months old and I feed them all twice a day 2 and a half cups each time and they are a perfect size, lean but not skinny, plus they get snacks also .....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

He was getting seven cups of food, divided into 2 feedings but she cut him back to five cups and now he looks really thin. I can easily see all his ribs, so I am thinking he is too thin now. How do I know if he's getting enough to eat?</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Donna, I'm definitely going to do that.
I didnt think it looked like he was getting enough to eat.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hi All,

I would recommend too that you ask your vet to do a complete medical chcek-up. Something could have been overlooked.

Also, review the type of food you are using - read the label carefully.Your puppy may need more protein - maybe he is more active.

You certainly should not be able to count his ribs.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Big breed dog puppiesdo not need more protein.Big breed puppies should be on Adult dog food as you do not want them growing too fast.Puppy food for Rottweilers can do more harm then good.

Also vets are not nutrionalists? They sell science diet for gosh sakes.That is for sure not the best food.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Donna's right on that ....I love my vet but he also sells science diet and I don't feed my babies that ! They get eukanuba....I think science diet has a contract with all these vets makes you think they do anyway.....cause they all sell it !

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The company that makes sicence diet also makes vacinations for your dogs.They are double dipping with the vet.

I'm sure they get a good deal all the way around.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I didnt know that about the vaccinations Donna. Sounds like you hit it right on the head. Apollo gets large breed puppy food, is that okay to give him? I saw that you said large breed puppies should be eating adult dog food. The kids around my neighborhood are getting so they are more friendly with Apollo, and of course he is eating all this attention right up. He cant wait to go for a walk so the kids get to pet him and give him treats. If the parents are out, usually the kids arent allowed to pet him but I think people are beginning to accept seeing him out a little more. Almost had a run in with a pitbull the other day, think I'll avoid going that way for a while. Dont need that dog tying into Apollo, and it gave me a good scare.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
My puppies are on Adult dog food by the time they leave my house at 8 weeks.With big dogs they don't need the extra protien.They need to grow slowly.So adult would be better for Apollo.

Donna

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use solid gold food and I used the puppy formula for the first year. I know use the solid gold melinieum and it has been nothing but good for him. He looks good then and now.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Solid Gold is a good food,but I would still recomend that all Rottweiler puppies eat adult food.Just to be on the safe side.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

What is the difference between the puppy food and the adult dog food? </BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Puppy food has more protien in it then Adult.

Puppys do not need it,it just aids in growing and developing the puppy.Less protien is better for the big breeds.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Donna , I will say my vet agrees with you on that and so do I .....adult food by 8 weeks , they need to grow slow ...

Miss Scarlet , he will get big believe me he will ! Just give him time and you will say woooooo

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

He's already getting big, and quickly too. Still looks like a big beagle tho
He's about 35lbs. right now at 17 wks, and doesnt look like much like a baby anymore
They grow up way too fast. What is the best thing to give him for snacks that is good for him? I would like to give him some treats but dont want to compromise his diet.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If he is a true Rottweiler there is nothing that you will give him that would compromise his diet.

Dry bone are good treats,biscuts type.Ours get little ones when they go in their crates.So everyone runs for them when you get the treats out.

There are different treats for different things.If you are training you need small soft treats easy to chew.Cat treats work best for this(Pounce)Or hot dogs bitten into small bits.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Cat treats? I would never have thought of that
I wouldnt be surprised to see him eat them tho, he will eat anything
</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
429 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

so...That means that I should change from puppy to adult food?

My puppy is 2 months and 15 days, and eukanuba for puppies is his food. He doesnt like that food very much, (he gets wild when smells the cooked chicken breast od the chi's) I think this is affecting somehow his apetite, and he's not eating correctly. I really don't know what to do.. I've tried to pick his bowl up right away if he's not interested in the food, but no use. He eats the food, but i guess is not enough for his size. He's growing fast, but I want him to eat the correct amount. He looks lean but not skinny...Anyway...Any ideas????</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

1 - 20 of 38 Posts