Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years we have been lucky in finding great puppies. We are ready to add a new member to the family. We live in Utah but are willing to drive almost anywhere to find the right pup. Our issues are two fold, 1 is having to place a large deposit on a future litter that is only in the planning stages, 2 is that we like to spend a little time with the puppies, not have one reserved and if we don't want the puppy that is available, we have to wait for a future liter. We are looking for a quality puppy as a pet with no plans to breed. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Welcome to the forums. What are you interested in doing with your next Rottweiler? Any activities? At this time, with Covid there is a shortage of well bred puppies. Some breeders are just not breeding, or there is such a high demand that people are on waiting lists for a year or two. I don't blame you for not wanting to put a big deposit down on a future litter. Good breeders do have waiting lists. You need to be able to trust the breeder you choose...and they will interview you and want to know your lifestyle and try to match the best pup to your home. They have lived and raised the pups for 8 weeks and an experienced breeder will be able to chose the best match for you.

You can check in your area to see if there are any AKC shows starting or Sieger shows...and go see some dogs in the ring. Most breeders will be happy to meet and talk to you at shows. You also need to make sure that the breeder you choose does all of the health testing on the dogs that are being bred..that means hips, elbows, eyes and heart...and a few new tests that are available. The dogs used should also be titled in obedience or conformation, or tracking,etc.

You may want to read this thread...it's a breeder in Colorado...but may be a place to start, as well as a few more kennel names you can look up. New to the forum. Need breeder advice in Colorado
You may also want to read some past threads in the Breeding and Pedigree forum for some information.
If you want a breeder, you can post the link here to help to check health results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Over the years we have been lucky in finding great puppies. We are ready to add a new member to the family. We live in Utah but are willing to drive almost anywhere to find the right pup. Our issues are two fold, 1 is having to place a large deposit on a future litter that is only in the planning stages, 2 is that we like to spend a little time with the puppies, not have one reserved and if we don't want the puppy that is available, we have to wait for a future liter. We are looking for a quality puppy as a pet with no plans to breed. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Look at Windego Rottweilers in Minnesota beautiful dogs bread and raised on a farm.
They are on Facebook too.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Look at Windego Rottweilers in Minnesota beautiful dogs bread and raised on a farm.
They are on Facebook too.
They talk about having their dogs health certs done...but there are only call names used on their FB page and their website. Ethical breeders usually have the dogs pedigrees right on the website...and links to the OFA page. There are none here. They also talk about showing...but I see no show win pictures or any working titles or obedience titles on their dogs. They may be raised on a farm....but by the amount of dogs they have, and the different breeds they breed...this looks more of a commercial breeder....just breeding dogs.:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forums. What are you interested in doing with your next Rottweiler? Any activities? At this time, with Covid there is a shortage of well bred puppies. Some breeders are just not breeding, or there is such a high demand that people are on waiting lists for a year or two. I don't blame you for not wanting to put a big deposit down on a future litter. Good breeders do have waiting lists. You need to be able to trust the breeder you choose...and they will interview you and want to know your lifestyle and try to match the best pup to your home. They have lived and raised the pups for 8 weeks and an experienced breeder will be able to chose the best match for you.

You can check in your area to see if there are any AKC shows starting or Sieger shows...and go see some dogs in the ring. Most breeders will be happy to meet and talk to you at shows. You also need to make sure that the breeder you choose does all of the health testing on the dogs that are being bred..that means hips, elbows, eyes and heart...and a few new tests that are available. The dogs used should also be titled in obedience or conformation, or tracking,etc.

You may want to read this thread...it's a breeder in Colorado...but may be a place to start, as well as a few more kennel names you can look up. New to the forum. Need breeder advice in Colorado
You may also want to read some past threads in the Breeding and Pedigree forum for some information.
If you want a breeder, you can post the link here to help to check health results.
Thanks for the reply. We are looking for a companion. We always spend time training our dogs, nothing worse then a untrained large dog. We aren't looking to show or breed, but would like a healthy well bred dog. We both have retired and have the time and energy to add to our family. We waited some time after the loss of our last boy. This is the first time that we have really looked to get a puppy that wasn't local. Many scams and unethical breeders out there taking advantage of people due to the times we live in. We'll just keep trying and hoping we'll find the right dog. Thanks for all the info and if you or anyone can help locate a puppy or has the name of a good breeder drop us a line. Again thanks for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
You may want to look at : www.amrottclub.org do some searching there. There is no rott club for Utah...but find a state nearby and get in touch with that states club. They may have some breeders to suggest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They talk about having their dogs health certs done...but there are only call names used on their FB page and their website. Ethical breeders usually have the dogs pedigrees right on the website...and links to the OFA page. There are none here. They also talk about showing...but I see no show win pictures or any working titles or obedience titles on their dogs. They may be raised on a farm....but by the amount of dogs they have, and the different breeds they breed...this looks more of a commercial breeder....just breeding dogs.:(
I think you are right in your cautions. Our Rottweiler came from Windego and I don't recommend them. He's been a special needs dog from the start but he's got a good home with us. The signs were there though, could they not have known? We agreed to pay their full price and drove up to their farm with our young daughter. I thought it was odd when we got there that no other Rotties were around that we could see, like they didn't want us to make comparisons. Our pup was alone in a pen and had poop in his coat. We had to ask for a towel to clean him up for the ride home. One other thing perhaps worth mentioning, the tools laid out on the gate of their pickup truck made me think they'd only just chipped him before our arrival. Is there a good reason to wait like that? So, the dog is 4 now. He's a good boy and we love him. He's family. But from an early age he's had a hard time getting up from laying down, still can't jump into the car, doesn't like to run much, and has a hard time with stairs. Like I said, he's got a good home with us but I thought I'd share my story.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Thanks for your reply about Windego. I'm sorry to hear that you bought your pup from a poor quality breeder. This forum is about educating, and the more people know, the better they will do the next time. I'm sure most of us have bought our dogs at some time from a less than quality breeder.

Most ethical breeders take their puppies for a wellness check to a vet where they are wormed, and microchipped and given first round of vaccinations, and a check-up before being going to their new homes.

If your boy is having problems with jumping, and running and stairs...have you had his hips x-rayed? If he does have hip dysplasia...there are things that can help. There are supplements and treatments that can give him a better quality of life. Did you ever let the "greeder" know??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please be careful of scams. As was mentioned, you can look at the list of breeders on the American Rottweiler Club website. There is also a Facebook group "Top Quality Breeders and Education for Rottweilers" that is a wonderful, educational group which also has a list of ethical breeders that do all health testing for JLPP, hips, elbows, eyes and hearts (echo recommended). Good luck in your search. I for one, do not understand the concepts of deposits. No way would we ever request one!

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Hi Sharon! Glad to see you have joined us! I do know that you are a great breeder with some lovely dogs. I followed you for years on rott.net:) I hope you will share your great knowledge for this wonderful breed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please be careful of scams. As was mentioned, you can look at the list of breeders on the American Rottweiler Club website. There is also a Facebook group "Top Quality Breeders and Education for Rottweilers" that is a wonderful, educational group which also has a list of ethical breeders that do all health testing for JLPP, hips, elbows, eyes and hearts (echo recommended). Good luck in your search. I for one, do not understand the concepts of deposits. No way would we ever request one!
Some of the scams I have run across are very obvious. Either they are not very bright and they play on the emotions of people looking for puppies or they think the general public can be easily scammed. We have decided to take a little vacation, since the lockdowns seem to be easing and visit a few breeders. We expect to spend a couple of weeks and a few thousands of miles. The trip as much for us, as it is looking for a puppy. Thanks for your input and sent you a note on your website.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I highly recommend Neu-Rodes Rottweilers in Battleground Washington. Teresa Bradley. They do all the health testing going back generations. I could go on and on about all they do! If you are interested you can check out their website and their facebook page. I am super happy I found them. They are wonderful, honest breeders :)

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Just took a look at Neu-Rodes Rottweilers, and I like what I see!!! :) They look like ethical breeders that are doing everything right. When you go to their website...there are links to their OFA certs...and the registered names. Looks like these breeders like to have fun with their dogs...they have obedience, rally, carting, etc. titles. and also conformation titles. Breeding for looks and a smart mind.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts