Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello- I’m 52 years old, have had dogs my entire life. The next will be my 4th Rottie.
My first was adopted. He was American bred, 1/2 True German pedigree- nice dog, but not my idea of a true German. In short, he was too big, markings too light tan for my taste, he looked more mastiff than Rottweiler. He lived 11 years, died of cardiomegaly.
My second was a painful lesson in how one should research before buying. Otto was a great example of a German Rottweiler- mahogany markings, good angulation, perfect size. He was an AKC breeding from where I live in Illinois. He developed a limp at age 5... Osteosarcoma took him out in 6 months. Subsequent research revealed an alarming degree of inbreeding.
My next- and last Rottweiler was by far, the best. I researched the German breeding program at the time, 2003-2004, and reserved a puppy bred from sire Mambo Von Der Crossener Ranch, and a suitable female with all the right OFA certifications.
The breeding was sanctioned- in Germany & the dam imported pregnant.
Attila was the best dog I’ve ever known. He developed liver trouble at almost 14 years of age, and we had to say goodbye. That was almost 3 years ago, and my heart is finally in a place to start again. I searched out the breeder I bought him from- he’s still in business but some internet searching & reading raised some red flags about his current breeding program and, quite frankly- lack of OFA records in his current producing dogs- so I’m back to learning what I need to before I buy.
Can anyone provide a list of reputable breeders of pure German Rotts currently in the US?
I’d prefer COE breeders, and I’m not averse to buying another import pup provided that the full records of dam and sire are available. My last pup was pick of litter from a champ, and cost me $2500 back then. Not sure where the market is now, but I want top quality, documented genetics & don’t mind paying. I’m well aware that there are no guarantees, but I’ve been burned and heartbroken in the past.
I have 2 kids, 12 & 14, and a 5 year old female Bordeaux/French mastiff (spayed) with good even temperament.
I know there are lots of Rotts needing rescue, but the entire family has their hearts set on a male Rott pup, as do I. I already checked with my homeowners insurance- no breed restrictions there.

Please- help me find my next best buddy!

DrGunner

I surrender. I decided to start another thread, but each time I post after my initial, I get a message that says that my post is awaiting moderation and will show up later.I will still keep the site linked in my favorites, and maybe a moderator can send me a PM when they think they have things fixed. I have posts to both big black dogs and Frieda premade and saved in my notebook on my tablet with pictures and everything.

Thanks for trying

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about the dogs you have lost....the problem with this breed is that they are not long lived. Well bred, or poorly bred...they never live long enough.

Thanks for the welcome & info! Not all my experiences were bad- Attila gave us 13&1/2 years of love, protection and laughs. He had the typical drive to please, sprinkled with the occasional, “Make Me!” attitude.
I do agree that the gift that is the large breed dogs is a cruel trade-off. You get incredible loyalty and protection, but not enough time. I do feel that hedging ones bets through thorough research of bloodlines and ancestral longevity helps- when I bought Attila, all his grandparents were still alive and well in Germany.

Have you read this thread??https://www.rottweilersonline.com/forum/breeders-pedigrees/1683-american-vs-german-rottweilers.html There really should be very little difference between a Rottweiler of German lines (or born in Germany), and Rottweilers that are from German lines (born in the USA). What you think of as American Rottweilers are usually poorly BYB bred, long legged, longer snout, poor markings. This is because there are probably 2-3 generations of BYB's breeding these lines with no thought to conformation, temperament or titles.
No, but I certainly will after work tonight. I know I could have done a forum search- and I did, but I’m no stranger to forum life & find that starting a dialogue often gleans the most up to date info.

Where are you located? There are all sorts of good breeders breeding from respected German lines, or other European countries. As you know you must find a breeder that does test their breeding dogs for hips,elbows, eyes and heart....and title in conformation, and obedience or working titles.
I’m in Illinois, but certainly not averse to flying anywhere in the US to pick up a quality pup. For instance, I flew to Washington state to get Attila. I definitely want a dog from a lineage where both parents are OFA certified hips & elbows, eyes, heart, obedience, & titles are always a plus. Mambo was a multinational show champ, Schutzen III, & also a certified pet therapy dog. Dam was young but had OFA, heart, obedience/Schutzen I.

I would start with going to the American Rottweiler Club website. Find the local club in your state and e-mail the club to find breeders in your area. Also what shows are coming up in the near future.
www.amrottclub.org If you are looking at breeders that attend Sieger shows, then go to : Web Hosting - This site is temporarily unavailable as well as www.usronline.org They will have information on upcoming Sieger shows and maybe breeders that you can look into.

I’ll start there. I’m in no hurry here-we won’t even think about a pup until spring/summer but I wanted to start learning what’s available now.

Thank you very much for taking the time to put together such a helpful post with relevant links- that’s exactly what I wanted, a place to start.

Regards,

DrGunner

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hopefully the message I sent to the webmaster will result in the problem being resolved.

As a test, try posting on another thread. You can use my introduction thread if you want.

See if what you type will post. On some forums I have belonged to, it took either five or ten posts before they stopped needing cleared by the mods.

What is really odd is that you can send PM’s. Generally if a mod needs to clear new posts, the new person isn’t permissioned to send PM’s, lol.

https://www.rottweilersonline.com/forum/newbie-introductions/20684-hello-new-middle-tennessee.html

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
I think your messages are not showing up for you to see. I have had to delete your same post 5 times...it's showing up...just for you not to see it. Not sure why your posts are being moderated...must be something in the software that does not like you. Try posting in another thread...and see if your post goes into moderation. Try in Newbie Introductions ….and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
May I ask where in Washington state you got your pup from?
I don't think the OP has been on in awhile. Maybe we can give you some suggestions for breeders? Where are you located? and what are you looking for? Family companion? Working dog? Obedience prospect? Agility? Tracking? etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think the OP has been on in awhile. Maybe we can give you some suggestions for breeders? Where are you located? and what are you looking for? Family companion? Working dog? Obedience prospect? Agility? Tracking? etc.

Hi I'm also looking for some update to date reliable info on breeders. Should I start a new thread?

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
Hi I'm also looking for some update to date reliable info on breeders. Should I start a new thread?
Sure! Start a new thread. Give us your general location, and what you are looking for in your future pup. Do you want a pet/companion? Do you want to do obedience, tracking, herding, carting, agility with y our future pup? What is your experience with the breed? That will give us a chance to help you, and send you in the right direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Folks- Sorry I dipped out awhile- the forum wasn’t working and then life became very hectic over the last year with the pandemic.
By way of catch-up- I still have not chosen a breeder. In fact, I’m no closer to buying a puppy than I was a year ago. I plan on browsing the site over the weekend and reading through threads from others in my position. I’ve had another year to heal emotionally, and that’s a good thing. I’m really excited to get a new block headed, stubborn & loyal friend & protector!!!

Regards,

DrGunner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts