Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which treatment options do you guys prefer when it comes to acl surgery? i've read in an article abt acl that medical management is considered to be more conservative than the surgical but it can also be expensive and in a long term treatment. And as a pet owner we dont want our dogs to undergo any surgery and will find a way, in any way that we can to avoid it.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
It depends on the dog. It depends on the age of the dog? It depends on the activity level of the dog? It depends on the physical condition of the dog such as overweight, or arthritis, or hip dysplasia,etc.?
Surgical acl repair is the way to go for the dog to live a long and active life. Conservative management works for the knee to develop scar tissue and stabilize the knee...but if the dog breaks out in a run, or a quick stop or twists the knee...you have to start all over again. Also arthritis sets in on that knee.

How old is your dog?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used Animal Ortho Care Dog Knee Braces, Dog Back Braces & Pet Pain Relief | Animal Ortho Care to get a custom-made brace for Lola, who had injured her CCL. She got used to the brace very quickly, and actually enjoyed wearing it because it allowed her to run and play with no pain. I guess the biggest problem with the brace is that some dogs turn it into an expensive chew toy. Fortunately, she left hers completely alone. We put it on first thing in the morning and took it off before bed. She wore it for about 8 months. Afterwards, no more discomfort.
Dog Plant Vertebrate Dog breed Grass
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Companion dog

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I’d there is a tear, it will never heal, and the joint will build up arthritis. Surgery will repair the year and stabilize the knee much faster than conservative management. My 10 1/2 year old girl had TPLO and was back to normal within 4 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.