Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
It depends?? It depends on the age gap between them, and also their personalities. I would never have two females together. I've had two male Rottweilers together, but there was a large age gap between them of about 7 years. One was a senior on the way out, and the other was about 3 when we adopted him. Both were neutered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends?? It depends on the age gap between them, and also their personalities. I would never have two females together. I've had two male Rottweilers together, but there was a large age gap between them of about 7 years. One was a senior on the way out, and the other was about 3 when we adopted him. Both were neutered.
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dogs travel in packs. Or should I say live in packs. Two dogs living together is better than one, for them. Even if they ARE Rotties, they aren't the leader of the pack, you are. If they are taught to respect each other's food bowls, if rough play is never allowed to reach the 'next' level, then they will love each other's company. Remember, you are the lead dog and they being so intelligent, will learn their manners. Remember, Rotties started as cattle dogs and they worked together.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Dogs travel in packs. Or should I say live in packs. Two dogs living together is better than one, for them. Even if they ARE Rotties, they aren't the leader of the pack, you are. If they are taught to respect each other's food bowls, if rough play is never allowed to reach the 'next' level, then they will love each other's company. Remember, you are the lead dog and they being so intelligent, will learn their manners. Remember, Rotties started as cattle dogs and they worked together.
That's not true at all!! Rottweilers were drovers, and were never meant to work as a pack. Hounds are pack dogs that live well together. Rottweilers can be same sex aggressive...that's part of the breed. It makes no difference if you are the leader...you have two bitches that want to kill each other...it makes no difference to them if you are the leader. Ask any vet about the dogs that have come in after a dog fight to be stitched up. Bitches = stitches. All the training and leadership in the world will not make a difference if two bitches decide one has to go.

Have you had two female Rottweilers that are close in age live together??? When I volunteered with rescue we would never adopt out a female Rottweiler to a home that had a female dog already. Always the opposite sex makes the best combination.

Dogs don't need another dog as company. Their humans form that same type of pack. They can live a very nice life as the only dog.

Reactions: Dj86

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So having Two Rott bitches of the same age would result in fights over dominance most likely? What if one was a pup and the other was an adult?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's not true at all!! Rottweilers were drovers, and were never meant to work as a pack. Hounds are pack dogs that live well together. Rottweilers can be same sex aggressive...that's part of the breed. It makes no difference if you are the leader...you have two bitches that want to kill each other...it makes no difference to them if you are the leader. Ask any vet about the dogs that have come in after a dog fight to be stitched up. Bitches = stitches. All the training and leadership in the world will not make a difference if two bitches decide one has to go.

Have you had two female Rottweilers that are close in age live together??? When I volunteered with rescue we would never adopt out a female Rottweiler to a home that had a female dog already. Always the opposite sex makes the best combination.

Dogs don't need another dog as company. Their humans form that same type of pack. They can live a very nice life as the only dog.
I stand corrected

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
So having Two Rott bitches of the same age would result in fights over dominance most likely? What if one was a pup and the other was an adult?
Having two bitches even close in age could result in major fights. The only way I would have two female Rottweilers is if one is on the way out....like 9-11+ years of age....and you brought in a female pup. By the time the pup had reached sexual maturity, the first dog is so old...they usually just want to sleep and not be looking for fights.

Some people do make it work with bitches close in age...but it really depends on temperament and personality of the bitches. I know breeders that have muti-generation bitches and they seems to get along o.k...but those dogs are all related. It can also happen that two females are getting along great for years...and then for some reason something clicks....and they start getting into fights...and then decide that one has to die!!
If you are thinking of having two females, I would always have a plan "B"....for the future. Either each female would have to be kept separated all of the time, and live a crate and rotate life....or one female rehomed.

We got quite a few female Rottweilers given up to the rescue just for this reason. Dogs were perfectly fine....but could not stand other female dogs. They would be adopted to homes with a male dog, or to live as only dogs in the home.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Having two bitches even close in age could result in major fights. The only way I would have two female Rottweilers is if one is on the way out....like 9-11+ years of age....and you brought in a female pup. By the time the pup had reached sexual maturity, the first dog is so old...they usually just want to sleep and not be looking for fights.

Some people do make it work with bitches close in age...but it really depends on temperament and personality of the bitches. I know breeders that have muti-generation bitches and they seems to get along o.k...but those dogs are all related. It can also happen that two females are getting along great for years...and then for some reason something clicks....and they start getting into fights...and then decide that one has to die!!
If you are thinking of having two females, I would always have a plan "B"....for the future. Either each female would have to be kept separated all of the time, and live a crate and rotate life....or one female rehomed.

We got quite a few female Rottweilers given up to the rescue just for this reason. Dogs were perfectly fine....but could not stand other female dogs. They would be adopted to homes with a male dog, or to live as only dogs in the home.
Dixie, female, 7 months old, Hank male, 3 1/2 yrs old, neutered. Waiting until Dixie is 10 + months before fixing her. These 2 will be fine, forever, right? Hank is the most docile 120 lb lean Rottie at the dog park. Other than throwing his body into melees that are happening as dogs play, he is genuinely gentle. Let the 11 yr old Bailey (deceased) be the boss always. She protected him when he was young from other aggressive dogs. But he is always docile unless he's running and playing, with dogs and children. My question they will grow old together ? I am retired and with the dogs unless I'm golfing or shopping. I only know rottweilers as gentle loving dogs, if they are raised properly with lots of training and exercise. But what you are saying about them comes as quite a shock....

+

·
Registered
414 Posts
At risk of speaking for BBD - how well two dogs get along (male/female) will depend on the dogs and how they were raised/interact etc. But it sounds like you're there and on top of things so my guess is they'll be fine.

BBD is talking about same sex aggression that's in the breed - it is in GSDs too (so I never thought of it particularly with Agis; we've got three males, but spread out - 2 years, 5 years, 13 years - he and the 13 year old have had some tiffs, but no grudges, and it's been over a year I think by now. Males don't tend to hold grudges the same way, but females will.

The other saying I've heard about GSDs (and it would apply to Rotties too) is 'males fight for breeding rights, bitches fight for breathing rights'. But that's in reference to male/male or female/female fights.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Dixie, female, 7 months old, Hank male, 3 1/2 yrs old, neutered. Waiting until Dixie is 10 + months before fixing her. These 2 will be fine, forever, right? Hank is the most docile 120 lb lean Rottie at the dog park. Other than throwing his body into melees that are happening as dogs play, he is genuinely gentle. Let the 11 yr old Bailey (deceased) be the boss always. She protected him when he was young from other aggressive dogs. But he is always docile unless he's running and playing, with dogs and children. My question they will grow old together ? I am retired and with the dogs unless I'm golfing or shopping. I only know rottweilers as gentle loving dogs, if they are raised properly with lots of training and exercise. But what you are saying about them comes as quite a shock...."

Yes, your dogs are opposite sexes they should be fine. The male/female combo is always the best. Just don't be surprised if Dixie starts running the show over Hank as she matures. It's very common for bitches to get a bit bossy over the males. If Hank does not mind...all is good! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
She already is trying to assume that role. Hank doesn't seem to mind. He lets my 6 yr old granddaughter fall asleep on him, he probably wishes Dixie was as docile.
Another question, all my rotties have always loved sleeping in our bed at night with us. Dixie only wants to play on the bed. No sleep. Think she'll change her mind when the nights get cooler, or downright cold?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can’t speak to Rotties specifically since the only one I’ve owned is our current Rottie cross male. However we did have two females-a husky mix and a hound mix for several years. They never loved each other but they tolerated each other. Play was always a game of who could come out on top and was more competition than real play and as they aged they started fighting. They were about four years apart and never truly got along. The older of the two passed away a couple years ago and the tension I hadn’t realized always existed is our house left with her passing. Now we have our female hound mix and our male Rottie mix and they are great together. Our female bosses around our male and he’s happy to let her do it. Lol. I have no desire to ever have two females at the same time again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My ignorance has lead to believing Rottweilers were lapdogs. The 3 I've had couldn't have been more loving and gentle. BigBlackDogs has the experience with the breed to open my eyes. My love with the breed must be mixed with a respect for their sheer size and damage potential. I love this forum and appreciate the feedback it gives me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts