Rottweilers Online Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish you good luck in raising these puppies. You may also want to do a google search on "litter mate syndrome". You need to raise these puppies separately so that they can be independent. I have to suspect the quality of "breeders" that you bought these puppies from. No ethical breeder that does all the health testing (hips, elbows, eyes, heart, NLC,etc) and shows or does anything with their breeding dogs would sell you a puppy and another of the same sex....when you had already got a puppy. Most likely BYB's that will sell to anyone with the money. I would make sure to get pet insurance on these pups, and be prepared to be able to crate and rotate in another year to 18 months.
Thanks! Yes, both breeders were reputable (not BYBs) and pups came with AKC registration and papers and with full health checks, guarantees and vet checks. My husband had been a dog trainer and has plenty of experience with a wide range of dog breeds. We have had a lot of different types of dogs throughout our lifetimes and we find most often the "standard" doesn't always apply. Each situation is unique.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
I'm sure you know that AKC papers don't mean quality...just a registration number. I am most probably wrong but all of the years that I been part of the RCC (Rottweiler Club of Canada) and I know many ethical breeders that breed the top Rottweilers in Canada. I know not one of them would have sold you a second female puppy that was close in age. I also volunteered for Adopt-a-Rott for many years and helped with the placements and adoptions....there would have been no way that you would have been allowed to adopt a second female dog that was close in age. There are reasons for doing this and the most important is that you want the pup/dog to stay in the best home forever. When two bitches start fighting....it's a disaster. I'm curious the name of the kennel that you got your pups from....I would really like to be proven wrong that they are ethical. You can look up the sire and dam on the OFA site with their registered names... www.ofa.org it has all of the health certs there if the breeder is ethical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your “help.” I didn’t come here to be talked down to or to boost your ego. I respect that you are an experienced Rottie owner and probably can impart some words of wisdom but you come across as arrogant and condescending which makes all the experience you seem to have completely irrelevant. Apparently I am not the only one here with the same sentiments. So, you can do me the favor of deleting my account. Best of luck to all the Rottie lovers out there!

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
I wish you luck with your 2 female puppies. We are here to educate. If you don't want to be educated and learn about the breed and what is best for the breed, then continue in what you are doing. I'm sorry if I came off sounding condescending....but my 'spidey senses' tell me you got 2 BYB puppies of the same sex, in a breed where same sex aggression is very common. You mention your husband is a "trainer". No trainer that I know would ever recommend to get 2 pups at once. Littermate syndrome is a very common problem, and trainers see the problems is causes right from the first Puppy K class. Just be prepared for the future!!!

Reactions: Agis

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish you luck with your 2 female puppies. We are here to educate. If you don't want to be educated and learn about the breed and what is best for the breed, then continue in what you are doing. I'm sorry if I came off sounding condescending....but my 'spidey senses' tell me you got 2 BYB puppies of the same sex, in a breed where same sex aggression is very common. You mention your husband is a "trainer". No trainer that I know would ever recommend to get 2 pups at once. Littermate syndrome is a very common problem, and trainers see the problems is causes right from the first Puppy K class. Just be prepared for the future!!!
I actually agree with almost all of what you say and I know you have the best of intentions. The art of teaching in not easy, teachers need to be able convey information in a way that a student can learn. I think that sometimes people feel criticized in a manner that that prevents them for learning what you have to teach.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
I actually agree with almost all of what you say and I know you have the best of intentions. The art of teaching in not easy, teachers need to be able convey information in a way that a student can learn. I think that sometimes people feel criticized in a manner that that prevents them for learning what you have to teach.
I actually deal with dogs better than people. If you have read many of my replies...I guess I don't sugar coat things. If people want to argue and not answer questions truthfully....and then get their feelings hurt it's their loss. If the OP had done some research before buying two female puppies that were just weeks apart in age, perhaps they may have educated themselves??

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
how about if the animals are neutered?
Makes no difference if they are neutered or spayed! Same sex aggression is very common in this breed. The only way I would keep the same sex in my home was if the dogs were years apart. Like bringing in a female puppy if the first dog was 9-10 + years old and on the way out. By the time the pup had reached maturity...the old dog would be gone, or too old to care. But then you have to decide if a pup/young dog is going to be annoying an old dog too much...and not fair to the old dog. Always best to avoid problems is to have one of either sex.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts