Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a male Rottweiler puppy who weighs about 30kgs (68 lbs) at the age of 8 and a half months old. He doesn't look skinny (ribs not visible as per body condition score) fairly active, and stands at 24.5 inches tall.
He is a picky eater, and we have tried everything under the sun but he won't eat as much. Vet says there is nothing wrong with him, but I should increase his diet.
Do you guys have any experience with underweight Rottweiler, and did they grow up to be in the standard range of weight and height.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! I can see the pictures, and he does not look underweight to me. It does sound like he may end up the smaller side, but at 8 1/2 months he still has some growing and weight to gain. He will still grow slowly, and gain weight till he is about 2 years of age.

What size were his sire and dam?? Genetics determines his size. Has he always been a picky eater? What food do you feed him? How much do you feed him? I've never had a picky eating Rottweiler...very uncommon in the breed. They are very much easy keepers...meaning they need very little food...not to put weight on, especially when their growing is done.

My female ranged 80-85 lb most of her adult life and only ate 2 cups of a high quality kibble...along with a few additions of egg, sardines, yogurt, etc. weekly.

Does your pup have diarrhea? vomiting? wanting to eat grass? These could all be signs of digestive problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Big black dogs.
He has been a picky eater since his teeth started falling (around 5 months). He used to be in too much pain and we were careless not to maintain strict eating habits and pampering him.
His current diet consists of...400gms chicken breast boiled, 250 gms medium range kibbles and a boiled egg or fruits here and there. His vet suggested his diet to be (250gm chicken, 4eggs, 300gm kibbles and cottage cheese around 100gm).
His stool is fine with help of probiotics chewables, and since he plays out in the park his deworming is done fairly regularly. But he does have a sensitive stomach.
Thanks for the advice, I don't mind him being on the smaller side...since he will spend most of his life with my parents who are around 60yrs of age. Thankfully eating and weight is the only worry we have, he is the most well behaved baby one could hope for.

Also, we have no idea of his genetics because we took him from someone who couldn't keep him and moreover I am from India, the home of puppy Mills and poor breeders

·
Registered
283 Posts
Agis (mix) was a picky eater as a puppy. We switched foods and it helped a lot. It could be the food you have isn't meaty/smelly enough.

I don't know what foods are available in India, but you could always try a different one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey my Rottweiler is also 8 and a half months old. He weighs about 120 pounds. I feed him the B.A.R.F diet. I also have a YouTube channel for him, I just posted a video the other day regarding what we feed him. https://youtu.be/hHZp0TI0BlY That is the link to the video, or you can search “RoccoTheRotti”. I honestly believe the BARF diet is the best for Rottweilers especially since they’re a large breed working dog which has a lot of energy. This diet is also best for their bones and organs compared to processed kibbles.
Cheers, I await your reply.

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Hey my Rottweiler is also 8 and a half months old. He weighs about 120 pounds. I feed him the B.A.R.F diet. I also have a YouTube channel for him, I just posted a video the other day regarding what we feed him. https://youtu.be/hHZp0TI0BlY That is the link to the video, or you can search “RoccoTheRotti”. I honestly believe the BARF diet is the best for Rottweilers especially since they’re a large breed working dog which has a lot of energy. This diet is also best for their bones and organs compared to processed kibbles.
Barf diet is good..if you are feeding a balanced diet. It's especially important to feed a balanced raw diet to a growing pup. If the nutritional balance is not there there can be problems with growth. If your pup is 8 1/2 months old I highly doubt he is 120 lbs...take him to the vet for a weigh in. An adult male Rottweiler should weigh about that. Your pup may be gaining weight and growing way too fast! This is not good for the breed....he may develop hip and ligament problems in the future. Slow growth and weight gain is the best way to raise a pup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Barf diet is good..if you are feeding a balanced diet. It's especially important to feed a balanced raw diet to a growing pup. If the nutritional balance is not there there can be problems with growth. If your pup is 8 1/2 months old I highly doubt he is 120 lbs...take him to the vet for a weigh in. An adult male Rottweiler should weigh about that. Your pup may be gaining weight and growing way too fast! This is not good for the breed....he may develop hip and ligament problems in the future. Slow growth and weight gain is the best way to raise a pup.
Hey thanks for your response bigblackdog. I agree that growing pups need a balanced raw diet. You need to include organs, fruits/veggies and others so it’s not just meat they are being fed. That being said. I know it may be hard to fathom but yes rocco is a very big boy, I just took him to the vet a week ago and he weighed in at 117lbs. He turns 9 months in a couple days on the 25th. The vet said he hasn’t seen a Rottweiler walk into his door more healthy then Rocco. After all he has possibly one of if not the best diet in my city. I don’t put his weight numbers out in a way to boast or anything. Rocco has no issues, running or jumping or with cardio, he actually jumps super high for a dog his size. That being said I completely agree that slow weight gain may be best for pups, but both of roccos dam and sire were quite big, the breeders said they were 160lbs. I will post in the video section soon videos of Rocco jumping you’ll actually be quite surprised. As for his weight I will visit the vet again soon to record his weight on a paper and post it here.
Cheers again I appreciate your response 🙂

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Sorry...none of the pictures are showing up. Do you have any experience with a well bred Rottweiler? Do you know the standards for the breed?? If Rocco's sire and dam were 160 lbs that is either grossly overweight or way over standard size. They could not be shown in conformation and most likely came from a BYB... 160 lbs is Great Dane size...Rottweilers are not a giant breed...they are supposed to be medium to large. It's a working breed....

Rocco may be fine now at 9 months...but do not allow him to be overweight. His growth is going to slow down soon...and you will need to feed him less. You may be facing health problems in the future...I would sign up with health insurance before problems start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree the worst thing to to have an over weight Rottie... a balanced diet of raw and cooked is essential but forcing a dog to gain weight quickly could be the dogs downfall...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your pup does not look underweight to me. Try taking the picture from above. He does look tall and I'm sure he will fill out over time. I also have a picky eater. I've had this breed for over 25 years and this is my first female and picky eater. I also feed the BARF diet, balanced daily, as she is only 11 months, but she is a proper size at 87 lbs. Her parents were large, so I expect her to keep gaining for a while. If you aren't seeing ribs, you're doing okay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts