Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Rotti fans! Me & my girl are new to here. Wondering if any Rottweilers on here have recurring urine infections & would you mind please sharing your experiences & any advice is welcome. My girl has been having them since a pup & they can’t discover why :(

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!! I'm so sorry that your girl has been suffering with UTI's. It is common in puppies, but they often as they mature disappear.
How old is your girl? Is she spayed? What food is she eating? How often is she getting outside during the day to urinate?

I've been lucky through the years and never had a female dog develop UTI's. I do know friends that have had problems. Has the vet done a sterile urine draw? What did they find? How long did she take the antibiotics? I've heard that some dogs need at least a month of antibiotics to get rid of the infection...and often vets don't prescribe the medication for long enough.
First thing you can do is let her out more often to pee....don't wait till she let's you know. At least every couple of hours. Wipe her vulva with a baby wipe after urinating each time. Encourage her to drink more. Have more water bowls around and put a bit of water on top of her kibble with each meal. You could also try adding cranberry pills ( available at most health food stores)...it changes the acid of the urine and discourages bacteria from growing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Thank u so so much for ur reply!!!!
she just turned 2 in April & has been getting infections nearly every 4-6 weeks since beginning of the year. She has been on a prescription diet (Purina Urinary) for about 9 weeks now. I water her kibble for every meal. She is out about 6 x a day. I have just ordered cranberry supplements & ‘touchie’ wipes for her. The vets have been dip stick testing her urine every 2 weeks & sometime doing an analysis to see the type of crystals & if any white blood cells?!
she has calcium oxalate crystals in her urine apparently but the levels are coming down since she has been on the strict diet. Her urine analysis today showed major white blood cells apparently. She did have a build up in her bladder but that has since cleared up they found after scanning her today. Thank u so much for all your advice & I will definitely take it all on board!!! Hugs from Heather & Ziva 🐾

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
........ forgot to mention they normally only prescribe 7-10 days worth of antibiotics so I will ask them about giving her more - thank u! 👍🏼

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I would try doing some research on your own...there is probably groups on FB for dogs with chronic UTI's? or just start doing some googling if you can find some research on the type of crystals she has...and what causes them,etc. Be prepared with your information for your vet. You have to be your girls advocate...and see if you can help her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah your right, I have been googling like mad trying to understand it all. Thanks again! 😀

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Rotti fans! Me & my girl are new to here. Wondering if any Rottweilers on here have recurring urine infections & would you mind please sharing your experiences & any advice is welcome. My girl has been having them since a pup & they can’t discover why :(
Hello welcome.. I'm a bit new also and here is the best place to get all the advice you need.. With respect to your pup.. It happens especially with females due to the fact that they stoop to urinate.. Males do get infections too but much less..
It can happen if when she stoops she may pick up any bacteria on her privates..
Its something that may occur again and again.. So you can take measures to add some probiotics to her diet.. Cranberries can help and also cranberry chews for dogs.. Yogurt is another little treat that helps to add some good bacteria to fend off any infections.
If however the UTIs are regular with using these additions.. A visit to the vet and antibiotics can also help
Hope she improves

Omah

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for the helpful information & advice, it’s much appreciated! 🐶 She has been on antibiotics & anti-inflammatories for 10 days and I have re-submitted another urine sample today in case she needs a longer prescription (she has 14 days worth) I have also started adding cranberry supplements to her food daily & creaking her girlie area after peeing in addition to her px diet. Hopefully we are on the right track 👍🏼

1 - 8 of 8 Posts