Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm a new poster here to this forum. There is a lot of great information, thanks for sharing. I currently have a 17month old female Rott, named Elsa. She lives with our family of 2 adults and 3 kids. She has been a wonderful addition to our family, and we all love her. Elsa is not the first Rottweiler I've lived with. I was raised with them from a young child until I married. I have loved this breed since I was in grammar school, and I hope to help improve this breed and others knowledge of it. So now on to my question.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

When talking to other Rottweiler owners most of them agree that the Rott will use its front paws like hands.

When Elsa is playing with a beloved toy she will roll on her back and take the toy between her two front paws and play, and admire it. I find it adorable. But on the other side of this behavior, which is unacceptable doggy behavior, she puts her paws on humans. An example would be, I'm sitting down and call her to me. She comes excitedly and sits immediately. But after she sits she will put a paw on my hand or leg. I tell her "Off" in a stern voice and she will comply. I've been told that this is a Rottweiler trait. Or is it simply dog behavior, does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
~Kim

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
All of mine from the line I have now do it.Daphney is the worst.

I have seen other breeds do this but not as much as Rottweilers.

Welcome to the forum.

Donna

·
Registered
387 Posts
Dallas does it all the time. That is how she catchs balls when you throw them up. She will not use her mouth. She is always giving me her paw. If she needs something she puts her paw on my hand or leg and looks at me like "you forgot again". Blu uses his paws to just not as much as Dallas.

Welcome to the form.

Shell, Dallas, Blu, Sammy, Little Dilly, Kain

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dillydally said:
Dallas does it all the time. That is how she catchs balls when you throw them up. She will not use her mouth.

Welcome to the form.

Shell, Dallas, Blu, Sammy, Little Dilly, Kain

Wow that is something. I would love to see that. Maybe even a great video. Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. thanks for the warm welcome

·
Registered
387 Posts
I will try to get a picture once the pups are not nursing anymore. Alway glad to post pictures.

Shell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shell-

From my understanding, those with their dew claws attached will do fantastic things. Does Dallas have hers still?

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
dew claws are BAD they should be removed

my boy uses his paws for everything he will throw a punch

he does hit me if he wants something but he trys NOT to claw

or leave a mark thnk god

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Welcome Elsa , glad to have you aboard ! I have 4 Rotties and my Zeus is the worst with his paw's he grabs everything with them , we call him captian hook with his big purple ball he has , he stands with one paw on it as to say take it if you can ..
I also have Kitty she is the queen and the boss of the crew , now the twins ( Apollo and Rhea ) are 10 months old and I have not taught them how to give their paw for the reason you stated , it has been nice not to have a Rott paw you all the time .Well at least 2 of them anyway ....I will not ever again teach a dog to give his paw again ! again Welcome !!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome.

You know I never taught Elsa to geve her paw. Our instructorask me why I was teaching her that, and I told her I wasnt, nor was anyone in our home. I dont think she believed me though.

Kitty-You have your hands full. I'm sure they are lots of fun together

~Kim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.