Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They say one of the reasons our dogs die so young is over vaccinations.I just want everyone to injoy their dogs as long as possible.

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Apollo goes in for his checkup on Monday 6-13-05 and another round of shots. I'm going to talk to her about having a microchip put in also. Has anyone here done this, and had any problems with the chips? </BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mirco chip every dog just before they have their hips x-rayed and I have never had a problem with them.They are a great way of adentafing your dog if they get out,

Donna

·
Registered
656 Posts

Apollo went into the vet today, and came out with a clean bill of health. He had his microchip put in, and cried a little. That got the waterworks going for me. I am such a baby! He didn't seem to even feel his shot. He took his heartworm pill no problem-they must taste alot better nowadays. I had a german shepard who wouldn't take them for nothing! I tried putting them in food, wrapping it in bacon, but he always spit it out. Apollo weighs in at 22 lbs at 11 wks. The vet said he looks really good. In 3 wks. he has to go back to get another distemper/parvo shot. She said he will get them every 3 wks. until he is 18 weeks. She said she wants to make sure she builds his immunity up to parvo, because I had a puppy that died of parvo in my yard. He doesn't have worms. I was worried because of all the grass he was eating, but she told me he's just a grazer-the same thing everyone here told me. So I worried for nothing.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Scarlet did they put it in while he was awake ? My vet said to put one in they would have to use aanesthetic......Donna....Shots every 3 weeks isn't that a bit much ? your the expert on thisone.....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vet I use puts the miro chip right in while they are examing the dog.It is a really big needle I don't know why they would have to put them under for it.

I would not give my puppy that many shots,but if you feel more comfortable about it if your dog has that many.Elwood got a half of a shot once,I might give him another half when he comes home.Or I will have his titers tested to see where he is.I don't like to over do it.

Donna

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah I hear that about not over doing it, but feel better doing it that way because of the previous Parvo in the yard.

·
Registered
656 Posts

My vet put it in right after examining him. She put it the lower neck, shoulder area with a big needle. The microchip is about as big as a grain of rice. Apollo cried when they put it in but seemed fine immediately after that and didnt even act like its sore or anything. Apollo will only get the shots every 3 weeks until he reaches 18 wks. After that he will be on a regular schedule like every puppy, its just because of the parvo in our yard that they want to make sure his immunity is strong enough to resist it.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most people feel safer still doing things the older way (and your Vet will have a fit if you bring up doing titers to see if your dog really needs shots.As this is their livlyhood.

Donna

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah that's what I figured cause you can never be tooo careful when it comes to Parvo, It sucks I know My first Rott got it and she died in a matter of about 26 hours after the first symptoms were apparent.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Parvo seems to strike hard and fast. My pup only survived 28 hours after showing symptoms. We tried IV's, antibiotics, everything. He acted like he was going to come around then got sicker. We had him put to sleep so he wouldn't suffer anymore. It's still hard to talk about it. Apollo is doing great so far, and I watch him closely for any telltale signs for coming down with it. I'm probably a little overprotective but its hard not to be. I wouldn't wish parvo on my worst enemy, I could'nt even describe what its like watching them waste away and not being able to do anything about it. It's the worst feeling-the hopelessness and feeling so helpless.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
656 Posts

That is really something to think about, I'm going to show the article to our vet the next time I go in. I wonder what she will say about it. Thanks Donna, you always find these great articles
</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think they are right about the shots. I got Dallas her rabes shot because I have to every year. But I am going to get her others every 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been doing this for years now.

I hope thatyour Vet does not get too mad when you show them this.

There was also talk about a disclaimer.Vets need to tell you that the shots they give might not work.Kennel cough for one there are so many strains.Once your dog has that strain they are good for three years,but there is really no way to vaccinate for it as you don't know which one your dog will catach.

Donna

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.