Rottweilers Online Forums banner

wavy coat?!? help!!

Tags
coat hair wavy
53K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  xamtex 
#1 ·
hey, i have a question i want to ask your advice on..my rocky is 15 weeks old, and you can clearly tell where his "mature coat" (i guess that's what you'd call it) is coming in..it started as just a 2" wide line along his backbone, and has gotten wider and thicker over the past few weeks. anyways, along his back now, his hair has gotten VERY wavy and i brush it about every other day to try to train it, but it seems as if it doesn't help at all. i'm using a Furminator brush. do you think as he gets bigger his skin will stretch and make the hair straight? or do you think it's just a genetic defect and i'm stuck with a wavy haired rotti? also, there's some gray hairs in his mature coat, is that something else to worry about?

See less See more
#2 ·
I just LOVE him! But as I said before, King looked the same way, and he grew out of it. I dont think you have to worry.

#3 ·
His coat doesn't look out of the ordinary to me. I haven't had a puppy for about 10 years but I think it will straighten out as he gets taller and wider. Do his parents have overly wavy coats?

#5 ·
I bet if you gently pulled up on his skin on his back it would be loose. It only makes sense that their skin would grow and then the body would start to fill into it which would straighten his coat.

#11 ·
Again I must say when a Rott has a wavy coat he's most likely he will have it the rest of his life. In my experience I have had a Rottie with a wavy coat and it stays! May I ask why are you so concerned about his wavy coat? Are you going to show him or anything else? Or is he just a pet? Allot of Rotts have a wavy coat on their back......they usually are bought from a BYB. I think you said you didn't pay much for him. I wouldn't worry my head about it! :) Just love him!

#12 ·
I agree with Kitty. By the time a pup is an adult their coats usually straighten out. My pup has fluffly hair on the top of her ears but I know that will fall out when she sheds her puppy fur. I have seen the most beautiful rottweilers online that have a spot of white on their chest. I bet even a rottie that wins at big dog show has a flaw somewhere on their body. Nothing is perfect on this earth. I would worry about a bad disposition, having a bad bite or serious eyes problems. Having problems with their legs would be a major problem too.

#13 ·
Sadies "adult" coat is coming in wavy like that (she is also 15 weeks) and its especially wavy after a bath. I recently changed their food to a good premium kibble and it is really showing in their coat. Her mom has a very straight coat, her dad is wavy so its a toss up with her. My last girls coat was wavy after a bath, but a few days it would straighen right out. I personally like the waves. I think it gives her character. And a few white hairs do not constitute a spot- if its just a couple you can pull them out if they bother you. Im sure they aren't bothering him, and he will most likely lose them on his own when he sheds. Congrats on your boy- he's beautiful!

#14 · (Edited)
Sallie, Hi and Welcome to ROL. When your Rott reaches a adult age, ....they are not adults untill 2 yrs. old...at 15 weeks she doesn't have her adult coat yet..If her coat is wavy it's going to be always wavy no matter what you do. My Apollo has always had a few gray hairs since he was born......I don't worry about it at all. I call him a old man at times because he has some gray hairs.....LOL What kibble are you feeding your Rott? May I ask what breeder did you buy her from? How much did you pay for her? I'm just curious............Was it a BYB by chance? It really doen't matter, I have a feeling you gave her a awesome home! :)

#15 ·
Hi,

Sadie came from a BYB here locally. The most important thing to me was temperament and I met and observed both parents and they were wonderful awesome calm and confident dogs. I feed them Acana grain free prairie right now, and they are both doing very well on it. I fed Iams for years and years but when I got Sadie I started learning about dog nutrition so I switched them to Orijen but couldnt firm up their stools. They get marrow bones once or twice a week for about 20 minutes, and I use tiny bits of liver for training. As far as her wavy coat goes, I like it. I was just mentioning that when her "fluffy puppy fur" disappeared from her back it was replaced with the waves. Thats what I meant by "adult"coat. Nino, my 8(ish) YO male is every inch a Rottweiler, has a white star on his chest- I always said it was because he is MY star. and yes, both of my dogs are lucky to live with me :) at least I think so.

Thank you for the welcome Kitty!

#16 · (Edited)
sadie mae, I agree with you that temperament is the most important requirement. Without a good temperament not much can be accomplished. When we bought Nikki that was what I saw in her parents. Lots of activity around their home and they were easy going and friendly. I saw the same disposition when we bought Moose last year at 16 months old.

#17 ·
Kamo's hair was wavy like that for a long time but now it is straight as an arrow

#19 ·
Hi there!
JMO, I would not worry about it too much. My 13 month old Bull had a wavy coat up until about 2 months ago and now he is sleek. I do brush him with the Furminator though twice per week. It is so hot here in North Carolina and that helps to keep his coat real clean and it shines like glass....He is growing at a slow rate also, just as I planned for him to, and I think that is one major reason why his coat was wavy, due to loose skin as he continued to grow....(Rotts will continue to grow until the age of 2 to 3 years old)...Now, Bull is beginning to "grow into himself", so to speak....As he grows day by day, his skin gets firmer, and his coat is has no more "wavyness" to it...Bull is not fat nor skinny; at 13 months, he is a solid 102 pounds, and he had lots of health issues in the past and even has food allergies to boot!... Several factors could contribute to your pups wavy coat, but he is still so young; It could be the climate, genetics, or simply because he is just "growing", but none the less, your pup is beautiful!..Don't be discouraged; the best is yet to come! :)

Viv

#20 ·
I looked back through pictures and he was about 12-13 months before it was completely gone

#22 ·
Hey there!
I am just outside of Fayetteville and Fort Bragg; still a ways away from where you are by a few hours....I hope you and your pup are doing well! :)

Viv....

#23 ·
that's cool i came through there last weekend coming home from Charlotte, me and Rocky are doing great, just adjusting to this heat blast and humidity lol..he's a few weeks shy of 6 months old now, and right at 55 pounds..weight gain slowed to about 2 pounds a week, which is good i want him growing slow..he LOVES the beach though so plenty of exercise by his own choice haha

#25 ·
Interesting thread. I hope you can come back to this when your dog is fully grown and let us know the final outcome of his coat. I don't have a great deal of experience, just on my second rottie. But JJ's coat did go through a wavy period while he was growing, and it is straight now at 2 years, 4+ months. He also has the occasional white hair. That is nothing to worry about either. (Yes, white patches are considered a fault in conformation.)

#26 ·
My puppy will be 4 months old on July 2nd and she now has a wavy coat on her back. It looks so cute. Her parents have nice coats so I'm sure it's just a young rottie thing. They grow into their skin and it stretches out and goes flat I think.

#27 ·
Rocky turned 6 months old yesterday, and his coat is improving great, the waves along the middle of his back have straightened out, and now there's just some waves left on the end of his back above his rump. He's turning out very nicely.

#28 ·
I have had the pleasure of owning rottweiler's from a "b.y.b" and a professional breeder, and i can confidently tell you that the wave's are not permanent. It's mostly a male thing, you will see a few awkward stages until he grows into his own. BTW the cost of a rottweiler has nothing to do with the quality. I once paid $200 for one happened to be a rescue and turned out to be show quality. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.