Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all... I know there is a lot goin' on in here about foods... I went to Dr Davis today in Rensselaer , IN ... Awesome man... I got the dogs updated on their shots. And he asked me about Kiarah's eatting habits. She's gettin' about 8 cups of food split up into 2 meals now and same with Chip... but , he said the curves on Kiarah ain't good. She shouldn't be lookin' like an hour glass meaning between her rips and butt is thin...

Now , Kiarah got weighed in at 56 pounds and Chip is at 50.5 pounds (my mix) he said I should have Kiarah on a large breed diet and they both could stand to gain about 15-20 pounds....

So , how 'bout it , any suggestions ? Right now money is tight and lord knows I want the best for my fur babies... Any suggestions about what I can add to their food to get them through the bag of food I just bought or should I dump it and get something else ? What do y'all feed your dogs and how much does it cost plus where do you usually get it ? We can only afford to spend out about $25-30 every two weeks for a big bag... What about putting bacon grease or something like that added ? Or brewers yeast ?? Something , anything , ANYONE !?...

Now since Dr Davis has mentioned that I feel like crap because I feel like I've been letting her down by the food I've been giving her and him for that fact...

·
Registered
96 Posts
sissy, How old is kiarah? I dont know if this is right or not but, roxy seemed to go through a growing spurt at about 10-11 mos that she looked thin, but I couldnt fill her up. so I started giving her suplements to her food,grits eggs & cheese mixed...(i now know that corn isnt good for them & thats what grits are made of) & I mixed this with her food...sometimes bacon fat...meat scraps..ect ....what happened was she was more satisfied & not loking for food all the time ...she also filled out...but not fat. like I said I dont know if this is correct but it worked for us.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What kibble do you have them on now? Is it a corn based food? You can find some very good kibble with beef or chicken or lamb as the main source of protein.You can find some very good kibble if you read the labels. A good kibble will not need to feed large amounts of food. Tell us more as to what you are using now.

I have 2 adults here and they do not need more than 4 cups a day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have my 2 pups on Nutros natural choice large breed. This seems to be the best commercial produced food that I have found so far, as far as the ingredients and the quality of them... I have noticed a huge difference in them since taking them off Eukanuba

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I feed Canidae (it cost about 32.00 for a 40lb bag)the dogs get 2 cups am 2 cups pm.It takes about 2 weeks to go thru the bag.

Plus once a month they fast for a day.I do not add any supplements.Some times they get some chicken necks.

Donna

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also feed Canidae. Although I don't have a rottie(yet), my large breed eats about 2 cups, AM & PM. Maybe a little less in the winter. The only supp that I use is fish oil because her coat is not the best.

By the way. I'm in valpo, I've heard of Dr. Davis. Everything good.

I personally would opt on the thinner side. Nothing worse than a FAT dog. IMHO

Barb

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Sissy, I feed Ultra Nutro and Canidea I mix them together ... my pups get 2 cups in the morning and 2 in the evening . They also somethimes get goodies in their food like a little bacon greese or a little cottage cheesethings like that .... I think if you feed a better quality of food they will eat less and are filled up ...except for my Kittyshe likes to eat and looks it to !

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I've been feeding them Purina Dog Chow in the green bag.. ..

Barb , glad to see that you've heard of Dr. Davis and everything was good , because he's the one who turned me onto rotts..lol... Never own another breed after gettin' Kiarah...And he's the only one I would trust around here...Since you're closest and I'm always in the Cedar Lake & Crown Point area , where do you pick up your dog's food ??

Kitty , doesn't the cottage cheese give 'em gas ?? ...lol... I know these two have the worst smellin' gas , don't know if I could put up with more of it...lol

And where are y'all pickin' up Nutros (how much for how big of bag) ??

Donna , I think you and I had the discussion about Canidae to call around to some feed stores and ask but I couldn't remember the name of it or where I had it written down...

Denini , Kiarah will be 2 years on June 30th... So she should have filled out a lil more then what she is now...

rottnbul , When you say kibble I think of kibble-n-bits... lol...

But to all of you whom replied , thank you and I think for now I'm gonna be making some calls to find the nutro and canidae and price 'em around here.... THANKS A BUNCH!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can find Nutro at places like Petsmart, Petco basically any big pet store and its about $32 for a 40 pound bag

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi to everyone, I am new at this forum with an 8 week old puppy.

I have a concern with the way OSO is been eating lately. I am feeding him Eukanuba and he doesn't seem to be interested in it unless I mix it with can food, or if I feed it to him myself,which might be a big mistake in my part. My puppy weighed 9.7lbslast week. Should I start looking for other brands like NUTRO?

I need all the help I can get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like Nutro and Canidae will be the way to go with my girl... Also welcome to the group !! Hope you find whatcha need... And I would HOPE you don't leave us hangin' without pictures !! 'cuz this group is ADDICTED to pix !! ... But you'll see that for yourself in the rottweilers picture area of the forum !!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Francis of assissi said:
Hi to everyone, I am new at this forum with an 8 week old puppy.

I have a concern with the way OSO is been eating lately. I am feeding him Eukanuba and he doesn't seem to be interested in it unless I mix it with can food, or if I feed it to him myself,which might be a big mistake in my part. My puppy weighed 9.7lbslast week. Should I start looking for other brands like NUTRO?

How are you feeding? do you free feed (food out all day)?

and welcome to the group yes we love pictures.

Donna

·
Registered
17 Posts
I feed him 3 times a day 8 am 3 pm and 8 pm. The thing is that he will eat his food when I hand feed him, is that a mistake in my part? I have only done thatfor thelast 3 days.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
put the food down if he does not eat it all in 10 min,pick it up and put it away.Soon he will learn to eat it or it will be gone.You can continue to hand feed,but then you will always be doing it.

You are the boss not his servent.

Donna

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I have never fed it buts, some people use it.It will mantaine your dog,but I like foods with no corn in it.

Donna

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Eukanuba® Natural Lamb & Rice™ Puppy Formula

<A =nopaddkgrn name=3>Ingredients </A>
Lamb, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Egg Product, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Natural Chicken Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Marigold Extract (source of Lutein), DL-Methionine, Monosodium Phosphate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Beta-carotene, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate

also not a fan of beet pulp

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
<NOBR>CANIDAE® CHICKEN & RICE</NOBR>

natural Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Dried Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

This is better

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb

Ingredients

<HR>

Lamb | Lamb Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Menhaden Fish Meal | Canola Oil | Flax Meal | Amaranth | Blueberries | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

better food

1 - 20 of 28 Posts