Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have full blood German Rott. He is a wonderful big boy that thinks he is a lap dog. He is about 5 yrs old This evening my wife (who is 6 weeks pregnant) my self, and our 14 yr old son we’re all laying on the couch. Thor the dog was laying across my lap with his head on my wife leg. Our son was petting his head gently just like any other time we pet him. And out of nowhere the dog bit Kaiden on the arm. There has been a couple other instances where he has snapped or acted aggressively toward Kaiden. I am very much Thor’s favorite person in the house. Does anyone have any ideas as to why Thor is aggressive to him.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your son was bitten. Is he all right? It seems you better step up back into training and teaching your dog his place in his family. First thing to do is get him off of the couch...or beds. This is a privileged place, not for a dog that is biting or snapping at his own family. Look up NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free)...and implement it into his every day life. He needs to work and listen to a command for everything. It sounds like he is treating you as an object that he does not want to share.

It is common to have a nice dog, and as they mature and get older...we let things slide with training, and poor behavior. I would take away all of Thor's privilege's ...he needs to be grounded. He stays on the floor on his own bed, don't dole out affection all of the time...make him earn it. This breed often wants to climb up the totem pole when not given enough boundaries. It sounds like Thor has made his way up to the top...and is now calling the shots with his teeth.

This is a wake up call for you, and your family! Get a professional trainer or behaviorist in to show you where you have slacked off with Thor. You have a baby coming...and Thor just may not like it. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts