Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned bully breeds (abpt and amstaff) for many years and before that an akita. I have also owned a boxer. I am currently considering bringing a puppy back into my life and the rottweiler is one of the breeds that i am considering. I do not have any experience with rottweilers or similar mastiff breeds so i would like any advice anyone could give me on what factors to consider before purchasing a rottweiler.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Any small children or other animals in the house to consider? Sounds like you will have plenty of useful experience with all the dogs you have had before and there is lots of good information already on the forums.. check some of the pinned posts for starters.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Everyone on here started the same way you are. I love the breed and on my fifth. Be aware that cancer is a cloud over their head. I lost a great boy at five years old.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You have enough dog experience that you should do well with a Rottweiler. Rottweilers can be same sex dog aggressive, and often picky about the people that they like. The have been bred to guard, so you have to realize that they will be protective...of their home, and their people. Yes, cancer is very common to the breed, but make sure you buy from a ethical breeder that does everything right with their dogs before breeding....that means titling, showing and having hips,elbows, eyes, and heart ....and genetic tests done...all verified on the OFA website. www.ofa.org
Both of my well bred Rottweilers lived to almost 12 and 13. The rescues did die early from cancer. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts