Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3-year-old male Roti that's getting his ears eaten up by flies during these hot muggy summer days in South Western Ontario, Canada.. What’s the best stuff to protect his ears? Home remedy or store bought. I have tried a little Vicks VapoRub ointment and it seems to work a bit. Any recommendations?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
I hate using chemical stuff on my dogs for flies...but sometimes it's needed. The best thing to do is to keep your dog indoors when the flies are biting. In the spring and early summer we have blackflies and deer flies. I use Children's OFF. I spray it on my hands first...then rub it into the ears...or where ever the flies may bite. It works good...but you do have to re-apply every 4 hours or so. I figure if the formula is made for kids...then it should be fine for a dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
I thought picaridin is non-toxic though just googled it and apparently not. We've used in on the dogs (in non-licking areas) when camping up north during late June (so buggy). They were fine.

We also have a thermacell which if this is happening in your yard might be worth investing in? They work quite well.

More on dogs and bug spray Can You Spray Your Dog with Mosquito Repellent? - Acadia Veterinary Hospital
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate using chemical stuff on my dogs for flies...but sometimes it's needed. The best thing to do is to keep your dog indoors when the flies are biting. In the spring and early summer we have blackflies and deer flies. I use Children's OFF. I spray it on my hands first...then rub it into the ears...or where ever the flies may bite. It works good...but you do have to re-apply every 4 hours or so. I figure if the formula is made for kids...then it should be fine for a dog.

Curious if the "Children's OFF" would be ok or not. I think it still has 5% Deet in it. Its a small amount compared to "Deep Woods Off " which has 25% Deet for adults. I wonder if 5% is safe to use. Have you used the Children's Off for a while with no "side effects" on you Roti...All I need is something to put on his ears. Its the only place the damn flies are biting him.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
Yes, I used it for years! My vet said it was ok to use. I believe it's for kids 6 mos and up? (I could be wrong though?) Another thing you could try is stuff that is used for horses. I have a feeling it will be even stronger. The Children's OFF would have been tested, and has been on the market for years.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NIK1

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if PIACTIVE Kids 100% Deet Free repellant would be OK to use also on a dog’s ears.

A nice alternative to DEET-based repellents, the formula contains 20% Icaridin, making it a good choice for children from 6 months to 12 years.

Active ingredient is Icaridin 20%, with 0% DEET.

Formula is non-irritating, non-greasy and non-allergenic.

Provides 12-hour protection from ticks, 12-hour protection from mosquitoes, and 10 hours from black flies.

Suited to kids from 6 months and up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Try some white vinegar, little salt warm water. I cup of vinegar for 1.5 gallons. Its my bath water for my dog. Works well to ward off many insects.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top