Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a beautiful and very sweet 8 month old 85 pound Rottweiler named Deisel. I have read that it is best to wait up to two years before neutering so as to allow the needed hormones to help close the growth plates. This helps with avoiding hip dysplasia and bone cancer. However, he is getting a bit aggressive at times to other unknown dogs. He has been well socialized with our seven neighbor dogs, but sometimes while walking he can lunge and attempt to attack. It is difficult to pull him off when he is focused.
I am looking for opinions and input on when to neuter.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! At 8 months of age...he is still a bit too young to neuter. I would try to at least wait till he is 12 months of age...better yet 18 months of age. The problem with waiting till 2 years of age, is that often bad habits like marking can become ingrained...and neutering will not make a difference. Dog aggression can also become a bad habit. Most Rottweilers growth plates are closed by 18 months of age. This breed is prone to hip dysplasia and bone cancer...and keeping them intact longer really does not make much of a difference. As long as they have the hormones for growth when needed...that helps.

Your dog is maturing and not a baby puppy anymore. He is a dumb headed teenager. You need to get some professional help with training....he should not be lunging at other dogs. He needs to learn to ignore other dogs...and that may mean he cannot play or meet other dogs anymore. Training will help with this problem as will walking him on a collar that does not allow him to lunge. You have to be pro-active with this kind of behavior...and a trainer will be able to help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had 6 Rottweilers, got two right now. Dexter who is 3 years old. I have not had him neutered. I was told to let him finished growing, and to be honest he doesn't need it. As for the cancer, 3 of my other rottweilers was all neutered or spayed and all died with cancer.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
I have had 6 Rottweilers, got two right now. Dexter who is 3 years old. I have not had him neutered. I was told to let him finished growing, and to be honest he doesn't need it. As for the cancer, 3 of my other rottweilers was all neutered or spayed and all died with cancer.
Sadly, this breed is prone to cancer. Neutered or intact....this dreaded disease seems to get them, specially once they are older. Older males that are left intact have prostate problems and perianal hernias. Don't think that leaving him intact will protect him from cancer or other problems. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts