Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Mufasa is my first rottweiler, and I am a bit concern w/ his size. hejust turned 1 yr old on the 15th, but he seems a bit scrawny to me. He's been filling out lately, weighing right around 80lbs. I've been told that he is not done growing & that his head is going to get bigger.by when is a rottie considedred to be his/her full grownsize?

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
4 to 5 years old ..... around 2 years he should be as tall as he is gonna get ..... around 3 he is gonna get thick .... and then thicker ..... the key is to feed and exersice him ....my boy is going on 4 and you can watch him getting thickerNOT fat but thick ..... and yes the headwill get bigger .... of course i base this on my own experience with Sampson ...... until he was 2 1/2 every one asked what ( her ) name was ...... not any more at 3 1/2 he has become a lil rockweiler ...... and people tell me he is NOT done growing yet .......
" rotts a luck "

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It also depends on the lines.Some grow faster then others.I've seen dogs that were all grown up and filled out before they were a year old(which is bad).You want a dog that grows slowly.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
My Apollo and Rhea are 16 months old and are still growing ! Apollo is about 110 and Rhea is 90ty lbs. I expect Apollo to put on at least 20ty more lbs before he is done growing .....I think all Rotts put on weight till they are at least 2 and a half or so .... what are you feeding him ?and how much ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm feeding him science diet 1 1/2cup twice a day. I just recently found out that i'm suppose 2 be feeding him more according to the label on on the bag forhis weight & age.
When I asked the vet about how much to feed him, he said that dogs don't tend to over eat, & if he was finishing it all, that i was under feeding him. I've moved since & had to change vet's & the new vet said, it depends...ahhh....

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
yovi, science diet isn't the best food you can be feeding your pup ..... I give my pups Canidea and Ultra Nutro for adults 2 cups twice a day, I mix the two together . If you are feeding your pup only a half a cup twice a day that is not enough.... I also put a hotdog or some other goodies in their food at times for a treat ...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Dogs can will over eat if you leave food on the floor for them all the time.The side of the bag is a general rule.If the dog does not eat it all when you put it down take the rest away.If they eat it all,don't give them more

There are way better foods then Sicence Diet

Donna

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I originally started him out on pedigree and changed it to the petsmart brand natural choice, & then to royal canine & last to science diet. I will look into the other food mentioned. thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts