Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My big boy is one year and four months old. He’s always been completely Black and Tan. Over the last few weeks we’ve noticed white hairs appearing on his neck. He’s never had any white hair before. We do use a pinch collar for walks and an electric collar for training- but he’s used them since he was about 6 months old. Anyone else have an experience like this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
It's most likely from the pinch collar. It's when the undercoat hairs get damaged from the prongs...and the hair comes in white. Much like when an area get shaved from some sort of trauma...and the hairs grow back white.

Do you have an undercoat rake?? Try giving him a good brush in that area and see if the undercoat hair comes out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. That doesn’t seem like it would be accurate though? He has gotten dog bites and cuts before without white hair growing back. He’s been shaved to check those areas and it doesn’t grow back white. I was a vet tech for a decade. We did surgeries, shaved, sutured, bandages etc consistently. None of the animals coats grow back a different color?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Some breeds, there will be hair that does re-grow white. I had a Rottie that had a tumor on his ear removed, and the hair grew in white. It could also be the constant damage to the hair follicles from wearing the prong collar??
You can ask the vet what they think it's caused by.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I just did a google search because I was curious...lol It seems if there has been trauma to an area, it may damage the hair follicles and that is why the hair grows back in white.
Here is a thread about it in a Labrador forum. Hair growth after injury

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He’s had trauma in other areas though and the hair has not grown back white? And he’s had the prong collar for over 6 months and this is new. And he only wears it maybe an average of 2 -4 days a week for 20 min? Idk. Very strange. Anyway thank you all, I appreciate the thoughts and info! I’ll brush out his undercoat on his neck and we’ll see what happens!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Could he have developed a bitch stripe across his neck? Agis got one as he got older.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve never seen it on a Rottweiler before, especially not across their neck. And these hairs are white too. It’s not just like a faded or gray. Like they are white white.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts