Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is approximately three months old. Whatever I do, I can't get her to poop outside. I have been monitoring her dietary & bowel habits. I know when my dogs have to go.

Anyways, I took her outside knowing full well she had to go. I waited until it was at least three hours after her last meal. She had to be backed up! 馃槣 Anyways, I take her outside and my two other Rotts (male & female adults) did their business as usual. But this little one? Nada. I sat outside for two whole frickin' hours on our swingset under the sun, and the little one......she just looks at me & wags her tail.

After two hours, I start questioning my assessment of her need to go so I pack it in. As soon as we get in the house, she ran to her crate and.....BAM! Arby's dinner for two in her crate. I was soooooooooo pissed off. I just looked at her as she was pooping, and then........then she turns around & eats it! 馃檧 I have treats available, if she ever does decide to poop outside but.....I can't reward bad behaviour (when she poops in her crate), so for now I just hang onto the treats.

My plan is to reward her with treats for when she poops outside, but so far it hasn't happened. Well.....it did happen (only once!) and unfortunately I didn't have any treats at that time. You can see my little demon on our IG channel (RottiesDotCa). I actually captured her pooping outside for her one & only time (so far) & posted it on our IG channel.
But what I'm struggling to understand is why does she choose to poop in her crate? I mean, it's not like I'm not taking them outside.

Can someone help me? My house smells like Rottie-Puppy-Poopy!

馃あ馃あ馃あ馃あ馃あ馃あ馃あ馃ぎ

Registered
I'm assuming you've taken her out with your other fur babies, the alternative.... Have you tried moving her crate outside when it's time to drop the kids off at the pool? It's a long shot I know but if it's stupid and it works, ut aint supid. Good luck buddy.

Super Moderator
Puppies can be so frustrating! I need some more information. Where did you get this puppy from? Sometimes "breeders" allow their puppies to live dirty and puppies that are forced to live in their own filth will think nothing of pooping where they sleep and eating it. For those kind of puppies it's best to change the type of crate that is used or use an x-pen.
Are you cleaning the crate with an enzyme type of cleaner after each time she poops in the crate? The bedding and the crate should be thoroughly cleaned with a cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Dogs noses are more sensitive and she will return to the same spot to poop in. If your house is smelling poopy...then it has not been cleaned well enough.
How big is her crate? You may have to make it smaller so that she does not have room to poop in it and move away from it. What food is she eating? What is her eating schedule? Has she been wormed recently? Do you feed her in her crate? Dogs usually don't want to poop where they eat.

If she were my pup I would take her outside after eating (without your other dogs) and go play with her. Movement often brings on bowel movements. Keep her moving throwing a ball, or playing chase, etc....and when you see her starting to slow down and sniff...give her the command you use for pooping. In my house we use "go pee", "go poop". Just use the same words each time.

How much time is she spending in her crate? You could try tethering her to you....so she has to be with you and follow you around. Take her out in intervals and keep giving her the "go poop" command. Use lots of praise, treats and positive thinking. Somewhere along the line she may just change to pooping outside. Remember she is a baby. She can probably tell from your voice and body language that you are frustrated. Try to calm down and enjoy that puppy phase. :)

Registered
Alot of tips above. Only thing id add, is that i tooks a week off work and literally took my dog out every 30mins from the second we bought him home (apart from bed time) and no pads whatsoever. He got it in 3 days! Dont get me wrong we was lucky. Weve done the same with our previous dogs and it took a bit longer, but i stand by that method

Super Moderator
Alot of tips above. Only thing id add, is that i tooks a week off work and literally took my dog out every 30mins from the second we bought him home (apart from bed time) and no pads whatsoever. He got it in 3 days! Dont get me wrong we was lucky. Weve done the same with our previous dogs and it took a bit longer, but i stand by that method
I agree!! That's how I have always house trained all of the puppies that I have raised, and also foster dogs that were not house broken. Out every 30 minutes...praise and treats....and repeat, repeat, repeat! :) Training pads are not the way to do it, and very confusing to the dog....the dog should never be allowed to think it should be pee/pooping inside.

The OP however was having problems with only pooping (I think?)....and pooping inside of her crate. It did not sound like the pup was pooping in the house.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Wow. I don't think I can make every 30 minutes work for me.

My dogs are velcro dogs. They follow me around 24/7. I take them out together. They eat together. They play together.

I did think about placing her crate outside however my only concern is that moving forward the only time she'll poop is if she goes into her crate (which is placed outside). I'm trying to train her in such a way that I won't be substituting one crutch for another.

Here's my little "Ice Cream". She's a demon! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Dog Carnivore Companion dog Working animal Whiskers

Super Moderator
Great that they all get along. Puppies have a very short attention span. If she is allowed to be with the other dogs all of the time...she may just be too "busy" to do what she needs to do. I would start taking her out alone to poop/pee and I would start feeding her in her crate.
She also should be spending more time away from the older dogs as she may bond with them....and make it harder for her to bond with you. More time bonding and training with you, outside alone...with the command given and lots of treats and praise.

PS She is a cutie!!!

Registered
along with the great suggestion from Big Black Dogs; take the pup outside alone and play. May I suggest that you take this alone opportunity to start leash training and walk her around the yard or better yet, in the neighborhood. She might be enticed to answer natures call when smelling other dogs that have been thru as she walks around. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts